“The Fair Foundation Files” will be a mini-series going on in the next few weeks because I have recently picked up a handful of foundations specifically for my fair skin and skin needs. I know this won’t be the most helpful for all my readers because not everyone has this skin tone and I am aware of that, but I also know for many it can be a problem to find a very light foundation shade. At the very least, I hope my comments on the formula of the foundations are helpful, and you can choose your own shade.
Let me preface this series by describing my skin and my needs.
- Used to be very oily, but now is only oily mid-day on my t-zone. Cheeks, chin, forehead are very dry.
- I have fairly sensitive skin (sensitive to lots of fragrance) and my pores clog easily.
- I suffer from monthly breakouts but am currently dealing with some minor acne scarring on my cheeks.
- My skin is very very fair. It used to be darker, with yellower undertones, but I have found lately that my undertones are more neutral.
- I want medium to full coverage foundation.
- I want a foundation that won’t break me out.
- It needs to last through my hectic days.
- It should have SPF.
- It needs to not oxidize.
- It needs to be a very close match to my coloring.
Now that we have that out of the way, I want to introduce you to the first contender: bareMinerals Original SPF 15 in Fair.
I used to wear Fairly Light not long ago, but recently found it a bit too yellow for my skin. I have used all versions of bareMinerals (original, matte, and pressed). I decided to try the original formula again because the matte broke me out and the pressed did the same thing but was $2 more.
This foundation is $27 and comes with .28oz of product (I apply A LOT for full coverage, so it lasts me about 2 1/2 months). It also has an SPF 15 which is an added benefit and is good for the skin.
Active Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide.
- Is breathable and I know it won’t irritate my skin.
- Fragrance free.
- Easy and quick to apply- very forgiving.
- Gives skin a dewy glow.
- A bit too fair/pinky
- Lasts only about 6 hours, not 8, before it starts to fade.
- Powder is hard to mix with cream blushes, etc.
- Does not cover my acne scars fully.